The term TMT stands for Thermo-Mechanical Treatment, a metallurgical process that combines mechanical deformation (like compression or forging, rolling etc.) with thermal processes (like heat-treatment, quenching, etc)
Benefits of TMT Bars are:
- TMT bars have less residual stresses and more tensile strength compared to HYSD bars.
- Ductile TMT bars are effective in earthquake prone zone with the higher sudden load absorption capacity than HYSD bars.
- TMT bars have better corrosion resistant properties than HYSD bars due to rapid quenching and tempering in manufacturing process.
- TMT bars have stronger external layer when compared with HYSD due to ductile micro-structure at the core and hard crystalline exterior surface of TMT steel.
- TMT bars have the lowest occurrence of surface flaws compared to HYSD bars because it doesn’t involve twisting or torsional stress.